Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Exercise 23: Thanks for the memories!

Because I am a visual person images are such a joy. Of all the exercises I really liked the
flickr mash ups and the online generators best. Because I am a pragmatic person I also liked Bloglines to help me find and organize the RSS feeds and the 2007 Web 2.0 Awards List for introducing me to so many valuable new sites. Bloglines and the Awards List makes me more efficient and effective. Since I am a believer in life long learning, the entire adventure in Navigating New Technologies helped to broaden my geek horizons.

2. Until the “23 things” program my education and furthering of my professional development was “catch as catch can,” or simply haphazard: for instance, I would take part in whatever irresistible class was offered that would fit my work schedule, whatever topic was offered at the OCLC symposium at either ALA mid-winter or annual conferences, whatever workshops were offered by the Center for University Teaching Center, the Technology and all that Jazz Workshop (before it passed on was an "ahead of the curve" introduction to cutting edge technologies), whatever workshops PLAN offered, or continuing education courses that fit my schedule, or a personal campaign to learn new software (often presentation power point or Articulate type software).

3. There were several things that were takeaways for me. The list of categorized winning web sites was wonderful. The concept of the mash up was great as well. I had to have faith that the application did exist. The most concrete takeaway will be the blog that I wanted to start a year ago.

4. We were all working in separate vacuums. Frequently students learn best from peers. Peers who keep them from going down the wrong path, peers who share with each other to seek out perceived quality resources, peers who motivate each other by simple but insistent inquiries into progress toward completion. Students could not be responsible to read all blogs but could be put into groups or teams. I feel that the completion rate would be higher if there had been some required interaction.

5. I will be at the beginning of the line for any future discovery program that you may offer. I found the program to be more of a time demand than I initially assessed. I could have never done the program during work time and also accomplished my assignments. The discover exercise required a very fair amount of volunteered hours.

No comments: